Voicepk.netVoicepk.netVoicepk.net
Font ResizerAa
  • News
    • National
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Federal Territory
    • Gilgit-Baltistan
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • World
  • Exclusive Shows
    • Frontline Pakistan
    • Rights Watch
  • In Focus
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Webinars
  • Climate Watch
  • Exclusives
    • Documentaries
    • Rights Guide
  • Events
    • AJCONF
    • Other
  • About Us
    • AGHS Legal Aid Cell
    • Our Team
    • Contact
  • اردو ویب سائٹ
Reading: Deadly attacks in Balochistan spark protests, amid growing security concerns
Share
Font ResizerAa
Voicepk.netVoicepk.net
  • News
  • Exclusive Shows
  • In Focus
  • Climate Watch
  • Exclusives
  • Events
  • About Us
  • اردو ویب سائٹ
Search here....
  • News
    • National
    • Punjab
    • Sindh
    • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    • Federal Territory
    • Gilgit-Baltistan
    • Balochistan
    • Azad Jammu Kashmir
    • World
  • Exclusive Shows
    • Frontline Pakistan
    • Rights Watch
  • In Focus
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Webinars
  • Climate Watch
  • Exclusives
    • Documentaries
    • Rights Guide
  • Events
    • AJCONF
    • Other
  • About Us
    • AGHS Legal Aid Cell
    • Our Team
    • Contact
  • اردو ویب سائٹ
Follow US
BalochistanNEWS

Deadly attacks in Balochistan spark protests, amid growing security concerns

Two attacks within one day of each other - one in Hanna Urak and the other an attack on the Mangi Dam project - both claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have sparked violent protests in Balochistan, with protesters demanding security for the people.

8 Min Read

July 8, 2026

By Nadeem Khan

QUETTA

Two attacks within one day of each other – one in Hanna Urak and the other an attack on the Mangi Dam project – both claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have sparked violent protests in Balochistan, with protesters demanding security for the people.

The first incident took place in the night between July 4 and 5, when clashes broke out in Hanna Urak, located on the outskirts of Quetta. Local residents said five people were killed, and nine others were injured while 11 people were abducted. The TTP claimed responsibility for the attack, saying its fighters came under fire from an Aman Committee while preparing to ambush Frontier Corps (FC) personnel. However the group denied killing any detainees.

A day later, on July 6, militants attacked a security post guarding the Mangi Dam project in Ziarat district. Pakistani officials said nine police personnel, including two Station House Officers (SHOs), were killed. Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind said that security forces later killed 15 militants during a clearance operation. The TTP claimed responsibility for this attack as well.

Local protesters said that 19 police personnel had been abducted during the attack, while during a press conference later, Director General ISPR Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, confirmed that 18 of the abducted security personnel had been killed. He also said security forces had killed 54 militants during operations across Balochistan over the previous three days.

Protests spread

The attacks triggered widespread protests in the province especially across the Pashtun belt. Residents of Hanna Urak staged a sit-in since four days outside the Askari security checkpost next to Quetta Cantonment, despite hot weather, their demands focusing on justice, improved security and the recovery of those reported missing.

Residents of Ziarat blocked the national highway at Ziarat Cross before ending their protest at the request of Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti. However they later joined the Hanna Urak sit-in outside the Askari security checkpoint in Quetta.

“We are mentally disturbed”

For the residents of Hanna Urak, the attacks have left deep psychological scars. Tahir Khan, whose cousin Muhammad Naeem was injured in the attack, said the violence had shaken the entire community.

“We have lived together as one community for generations. This is the first time something like this has happened to us. We are mentally disturbed and unable to sleep,” he said.

Families of those killed say they are still struggling to come to terms with the loss. Muhammad Arif Kakar, whose cousin Naqeebullah, 32, was killed in the attack, said the family had not yet told his wife and mother that he had died.

“He leaves behind three daughters and an eight-month-old son,” he said. “We told his mother he was injured and in hospital because we could not bring ourselves to tell her he had been killed. Whenever she asks to speak to him, we tell her the doctors do not allow it. We urge the government to put an end to this terrorism,” Kakar said.

Residents said militants have been moving freely in the area for months despite repeated complaints to authorities.

Meanwhile HRCP council member from Balochistan, Advocate Habib Tahir criticised the manner in which the incident was handled.

“What happened was extremely tragic, and a failure of the government,” he said. “They could not recover the abductees. Protecting citizens is a fundamental constitutional responsibility of the state. Violence has become routine in Balochistan. The solution to this issue is political – political parties with public support should be taken into confidence. However, nationalist parties have been sidelined, and the current government is not in a position to resolve the issue because it does not have genuine political authority.”

Why Hanna Urak and Mangi Dam matter

Balochistan has been facing the issue of militancy for at least the past two decades. The recent attacks have raised concerns about the security around the Ziarat Mangi Dam and Water Conveyance System, a project costing billions, situated on the Khost River, about 92 kilometres from Quetta. Designed to ease the city’s chronic water shortages, the project is expected to supply 8.1 million gallons of water a day. It has also faced repeated security challenges, including militant attacks, kidnappings of workers and construction delays.

Unlike Quetta, Hanna Urak has its own natural freshwater resources and is regarded as strategically important because of its location on the outskirts of the provincial capital.

Political leaders demand action

Leaders from several political parties joined the protests and called for improved security across the province.

Speaking at an all-parties conference, in Islamabad opposition leader in National Assembly Mahmood Khan Achakzai criticised the government’s handling of the security situation, questioning how militants continued to operate despite the presence of intelligence agencies.

“Police requested assistance around midnight, as they were running out of ammunition. No help arrived. The deputy commissioner had stopped answering calls, forcing families to try to rescue their relatives themselves,” he said.

Achakzai urged the military to uphold their constitutional oath. “We ask the military and the authorities to honour the oath they have taken. Pakistan can still be saved. We want our constitutional rights and control over our own resources. If another path is chosen and any consequences follow, we will not be responsible,” he said.

Government promises stronger security

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti expressed solidarity with the protesters. “I am here to listen. Yesterday, all my ministers were there. If there has been any failure on our part, I will accept responsibility. I am with you, but I cannot disclose our security plans in public,” Bugti said.

Balochistan Home Minister Ziaullah Langove said the government had established a security checkpoint in Hanna Urak and formed a committee to investigate the incident.

“It is our responsibility to ensure the area’s security. We appreciate the people of Hanna Urak who resisted the terrorists,” Langove said, adding that two security personnel were injured during the attack.

‘Arson attack on missing persons camp won’t dampen our spirits’
Despite PTI resolution KP govt undecided on repealing laws curbing fundamental rights
Care or captivity? NCHR’s report exposes abuse inside Pakistan’s rehab centres
Husband liable to pay deferred dower to wife if he contracts subsequent marriage without permission: LHC
Former law clerks urge SC to defend judicial independence
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

Follow Us

OUR SOCIALS
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Tiktok Whatsapp

Journalism for Human Rights in Pakistan

Voicepk.net

About Us

Voicepk.net is Pakistan ‘s first digital media platform dedicated to investigating, reporting & broadcasting human rights and legal issues happening in the country.
Read More...

Quick Link
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Our Team
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
© 2026. All Rights Reserved by VoicePk.net
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?