Rights Watch | 19th February 2021

Two minor children and two women in Dijkot, and a minor boy in Pakistan were subjected to sexual assault on Thursday, February 19. For more stories on human rights abuses, keep reading.

Rights Watch

Rapes reported in Punjab, Sindh

Four separate rape incidents were reported in Dijkot and one in Sukkur on Thursday, February 18.

In Dijkot, a five-year-old girl was shifted to Allied Hospital in serious condition after she was brutalised a shopkeeper. A case has been registered under section 376 (rape) of the PPC with the Sargodha Road police. In the second incident, an 11-year-old boy was abducted and gang-raped at a bus stand at the General Bus Stand in Tariq Colony by three men, including his older brother.

An 18-year-old was reportedly gang-raped by three men, one of whom is identified as Shahbaz, while in another incident, a village woman residing near Jhang Road levied marital rape charges against her husband.

In Kandhkot, Kashmore district, Sindh, a 14-year-old boy was admitted to Sukkur Civil Hospital in critical condition after being gang-raped and violently thrashed by four suspects on Thursday. According to the rape survivor’s family, the minor was abducted and taken to an unknown area where he was subjected to sexual assault. When he resisted, his assailants beat him, breaking his teeth and leaving bruises all over the boy’s body.

Relatives of the rape survivors staged a rally, demanding the immediate arrest of the suspects and justice for the victim.

Charsadda journalist tortured

A gang, among whom was a PTI official, abducted and assailed Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) correspondent and Daily Islam journalist Saifullah Jan in Charsadda on Thursday.

According to Jan, he was dragged out of a bakery at Sardheri Chowk in broad daylight by a contingent of armed men, and briefly held captive in an office of the PTI party where he was then tortured and humiliated at gunpoint. The ordeal was filmed by his assailants.

Jan stated that he had been targeted and tortured by the suspects before, and had subsequently registered an FIR against them on Wednesday. On Thursday, he was attacked again.