Rights Watch | 21st August 2020


Brothers club sister to death

Muhammad Ikram and Muhammad Saddam, residents of Nishatabad in Faisalabad, assaulted and killed their 20 year old sister on Tuesday, August 19. On the day of the incident, the victim had gone to visit their neighbours – she had been barred by her brothers to visit the place. Upon returning, the brothers interrogated her regarding her whereabouts and then assailed her with sticks when she refused to answer.

The girl was rushed to Allied Hospital but succumbed to her injuries. A case was registered on the complaint of the girl’s mother, and police are currently on the hunt for the absconded suspects.

Missing persons report repeated 45 times

Sindh High Court judges Justice Nazar Akbar and Justice Abdul Mateen Lakho on Thursday, August 20, voiced their irritation over the poor performance of law enforcement agencies (LEAs) in recovering missing persons, during  hearing of a case pertaining to the recovery of call detail records of a cellphone owned by Muhammad Shafique, who was forcibly disappeared in 2015.

Justice Nazar Akbar noted that the police had submitted the same report 45 times regarding Muhammad Shafique’s case and that another missing person case had been pending for eight years. Due to gross negligence and incompetence, the police, the judges observed, had effectively violated Article 4 of the Constitution of Pakistan (right of individuals to be dealt with in accordance with the law) by failing to recover Muhammad Shafique in the past five years.

Protest against journalist’s disappearance

Civil society and members of the Progressive Students Front on Thursday, August 20, staged a protest at the Lahore Press Club against the disappearance of journalist Mudassar Mahmood Naru exactly two years ago. Naru had gone missing in 2018 during a vacation in the Kaghan valley and was presumed dead despite the fact that his body was never found. Prior to his vanishing, he had made it known on his social media that he was receiving threatening calls from unknown numbers.

Naru’s family had sought out the aid of civil society organizations after police refused to register a missing person report – a family friend would later inform them that they had seen the disappeared journalist in a missing persons detention facility.