Rights Watch | 19th January 2021

Some 400 public and private institutions in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have formed inquiry committees under the purview of the province's workplace harassment laws; two suspects in case pertaining to alleged forced suicide of Dr. Maha refuse to submit DNA samples, stalling inquiry; two cousins have admitted to raping and murdering seven-year-old Momina Larik

Rights Watch

403 institutions form harassment inquiry committees

271 public and 133 private institutions in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have constituted and registered inquiry committees with the KP Ombudsperson Secretariat per requirements of the province’s Protection Against Workplace Harassment law. Committees must be composed of three members with at least one female member. According to the law, any institution or organization that fails to form an inquiry committee will be subject to a fine of Rs. 100,000.

Suspects in Dr. Maha ‘suicide’ case refuse to submit DNA samples

The Investigating Officer (IO) in the alleged forced suicide of Dr. Maha told a judicial magistrate that the police were unable to submit their final investigation report as two suspects refuse to submit their DNA samples despite repeated notices. Junaid Khan and Waqas Hussain Rizvi had previously fled from court after their bail applications were denied back in September 2019.

Cousins admit to raping, killing minor Khairpur girl

Abdullah and Saleem Larik, two cousins of seven-year-old Momina Larik who was found murdered on January 12 in Pirjo Goth, Khairpur district, were finally arrested by police on Monday. An autopsy of the slain girl confirmed that she had been raped before being strangled to death. The police had announced early Monday morning that a DNA match was found with samples collected from the body, and stated that the killer was Momina’s relative.

According to police, both Abdullah and Saleem confessed to the gruesome assault, with the former stating that he had killed his cousin to exact revenge for the alleged murder of his sister. The girl’s father refuses to accept the findings, and stated that he wanted another DNA test taken.