August 12, 2020

By MT Naqvi


Muzaffarabad: One woman was killed while two others were injured in shelling by Indian forces across the Line of Control (LoC). The victims were residents of a border village Raishian.

The young child of the deceased woman has still not understood the scale of the tragedy that has occurred but her 13-year-old daughter Tayyaba has become well aware of the consequences.

Recalling the horrific details of the incident, she said that her mother was in high spirits that day when suddenly she was shot badly and breathed her last too soon.

Despite the passage of some days since the incident, the atmosphere of the area is still filled with grief and a lot of people have been coming to offer condolences to the bereaved family.

Imran, the brother in law of the deceased woman said that the people of the area have been living under fear due to continuous Indian shelling for the last few months.

“We don’t even have underground bunkers to go inside to save our lives from the enemy’s shelling”, he added.

Another resident of the area, Javed Dar told that the economic activities in the area have been completely halted due to cross border firing. He said that no transport can operate in the areas near the LoC because the Indian forces target every vehicle.

Despite all this suffering, local people say they will never vacate their homes and continue to show resilience against Indian shelling come what may.

Cross border shelling has become a new norm between the two hostile countries since New-Delhi revoked Occupied Kashmir’s special status on August 5 2019 and bifurcated the disputed area into two Union Territories.

According to Pakistan’s foreign office, Indian has violated the 2003 ceasefire agreement 1,595 times this year.

According to locals, heavy artillery has been used by India to target the Pakistani side of the LoC. Locals said the Indian Army’s brutal behavior can be gauged from the fact that even the civilian population, miles away from Indian posts, is not safe from artillery fire.

They said that on the night of August 6 and 7, Indian forces target a civil populated area and caused damage to homes, mosques, and schools.